Thursday, September 23, 2010

Summit in September


Hello everyone!  This is Molly.  Things have been going really well during this first month in Summit Park!  For starters, I love our apartment, and I love living with my roommates.  Our apartment feels so homey, and it is wonderful to live somewhere other than the dorms.  We are getting things ironed out with the Lighthouse, so hopefully we will get to start volunteering sometime next week. 
                Besides the obvious reasons of free laundry and a dishwasher, the main reason I wanted to live in Summit Park was for the volunteer opportunity.  I always did a lot of volunteer work and community service in high school, so I was disappointed in myself that I did not volunteer more in my freshman year at Drury.  Summit seemed like a really good opportunity to ensure that I devoted some of my time to community service.  Also, I wanted to get involved in the Springfield community.  On a college campus, I feel like it is very easy to get caught up in the “college life,” and forget that another world exists outside of Drury.  Last year, I tried to get involved on the Drury campus, but I think I did a poor job of getting involved in the area. 
Through this leadership experience, one of the things I hope to do is to learn more about the Springfield area and simply become more involved in it.  Just through researching for our Summit presentation last semester, I learned a lot more about Springfield and the opportunities it offers for its residents.  Additionally, I am still undecided about what I want to major in at Drury, but I am leaning toward something in the field of education.  By volunteering at the Lighthouse Child and Family Development Center and experiencing constant contact with children, I hope I will be able to decide if an education major is right for me.  Since we are planning on coordinating a couple of events for the children and families at Lighthouse, I would like to gain better organizing and planning skills throughout the year. 
Today, we met with the director and family outreach coordinator at Lighthouse to discuss our Fall Festival we are planning to hold at Drury on October 23.  We came up with a lot of great ideas for games and activities that will encourage the parents to come together and establish social networks with fellow parents at Lighthouse.  It will be a lot of work to plan this event in a month, but we are all very excited to get started!  We will keep you posted on the organization of the Fall Festival!

-Molly
                

No comments:

Post a Comment