Wednesday, October 27, 2010

First Day on the Job

Hello everybody!
Yesterday I went to Lighthouse for my first day of volunteering! And as you may think I got to spend time with the kids, that wasn't so much the case. As I only have time to volunteer at a certain hour I get to come when all the little kiddies are taking a nap. They are so precious! Until they wake up...Just kidding! But, I spent my time in the resource room organizing! Much, much fun.

The Lighthouse is moving onto new headquarters over Holiday Break. They are going to be downtown near South Street if you know where that is. This is a wonderful opportunity for them as they are pretty cramped in the little church they are located at now. Over the summer they also had to completely reinstate new staff members, therefore they didn't have a manager for quite some time. Over this time donations were still coming in and people giving them things for the kids to play with were helping and it was all going to the same place. The resource room. As I was talking to Dollie, our volunteer go-to-gal, she was describing to me the room. She told me it was a mess, but it was nothing compared to what I was in for. My mouth literally dropped when I saw the disaster of that room. So, as I sat, flattening out posters for them to put in the classrooms my job seemed like an impossible task. And the teachers get a thirty minute time a day to work in there. That's it! I barely did anything and I was there for an hour! But, with time, and with my other roomies helping too, I know we can clean that place up. Then, maybe then, we can play with the little ones.

We also have pretty much pulled together our fall festival. It is going to be held in the practice gym at Weiser on Saturday November 6,  from 2 to 4 if anyone is interested in coming and seeing for yourself what we've helped put together! It is going to be wonderful. The girls and I have come up with great ideas for games and different booths that I think the children will really enjoy. Also it will be a great opportunity to get to know them better seeing as spending time with them might be a little limited right now.

Now, onto the next activity!! Hopefully we can get together a shindig after the symphony concert in December. We're still working on that one. But it's finally good to get things moving along. I feel so good about what we are doing and I know we are making a difference in the childrens lives and in the lives of the teachers and staff just by helping out. I hope everyone else's projects are going very well!

See you all tomorrow for pumpkin painting!
Your fellow swimmer babe (teehee, thanks Hannah),
Deanna Sorenson

No comments:

Post a Comment