Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Spring Semester Here We Come!!

Hey guys!!

So far the school year has started out great! We were able to get in touch with the agency quite easily this semester. We organized a meeting and were able to plan our events and volunteer times. This semester we are planning on only having one main event. With the rest of the money we have in our budget we are planning an easter egg hunt and party for the children. We are planning this event for a hopefully beautiful spring day the week before easter. Other than this project, we are focusing primarily on spending time in the center.

In this last month at the center, I was only able to volunteer twice. Lighthouse closes whenever Springfield Public Schools are closed, so for a couple of weeks we were unable to volunteer. The time that I have been at the center, however, have been wonderful. I was assigned to the infant room, so I spent hours feeding, cuddling, and then rocking the babies to sleep. I love all ages of children, but helping in this way made me feel to relaxed. Because there were so many children there on both days, I knew my help was being appreciated.

The greatest challenge that I face this past month in terms of volunteering was the weather. It seemed as though there was always something stopping me from getting to Lighthouse. It was either snowing, the roads were icy, or a huge pile of snow was plowed into my car. Thankfully Spring is around the corner and we won't have to worry about more snow :)

In this next semester of summit, I really am looking forward to the 24hrs technology fast. It will be very interesting to see how much I actually use technology. I do not really consider myself one of those people who are constantly attached to technology of some sort, but I am sure through this project I am going to be shocked at how much I really do rely on it.

Last semester I was the group member who coordinated almost all of the meetings and events. I was responsible for all communications with our agency. This was really stressful for many reasons. The biggest reason however, ( I know it sounds stupid) is that I have a phobia of talking on the phone.  This has been something I have been trying to get over since I can remember. I obviously had to get over this quickly since that was my whole job. Having gotten over this fear, even though it seems small, is a huge accomplishment for me. So other than the fact that I had to learn to handle and organize many events, resources, and people, this was probably one of my greatest accomplishments in Summit.

I am really looking forward to this next semester and volunteering at the center!
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment