Thursday, February 17, 2011

Second Semeter at Summit!

Can you guys believe we are already a third of the way through semester?!! Midterms are right around the corner and so is the end of swimming for us swimmers! Nationals is coming closer than ever and we will even have to miss a class because we will be gone. But save for everything finishing up, volunteering at Lighthouse has just begun for us. It has gone so well too! They have moved locations to First Baptist Church on South and Elm street and they have become so much more organized and welcoming. The girls and I always have something to do and they are always ready for us when we come! Which, is a definite improvement from last sememster.
During this next semester at Lighthouse, the girls and I plan to volunteer as much as we can. The move was huge for the agency and it left them with a lot of work and organizing to do. Once everything is put in it's proper place they will run smoother than ever, but for now, a lot of things are still being fixed and a lot of kinks are having to be worked out. We also want to throw an Easter Egg hunt for the kids when it gets closer to April. We are really excited about this and have already talked to the Lighthouse leaders and they seem to be excited too!
One of the greatest experiences this month with the agency is getting to see it blossom in it's new setting. It is so much easier for us to come in and get our hours done when they know we are coming and have things for us to do. Dolly is so organized and so are the entire staff. It is easier to get a hold of them and communicate and the resources they have have greatly improved which makes it for a better learning environment for the kids. I no longer feel any discomfort playing and helping out with the kids. They are so much fun! Their new setting has also been somewhat of a disadvantage too, however. They went through almost an entire staff change. We now have to get to know new teachers, which isn't hard, but it was a little nerve wracking the next day. Also, for however much they are organized now, they still have a long way to go. We're talking about another resource room people!! But it's alright. We are so happy to help out.
I know you all are nervous about the Technology Fast project we are going to have to do, but I gotta tell ya, I am super stoked! I lost my phone at the very end of last semester, and as inconvenient as it was sometimes, not having to worry about it, was kind of glorious. I'm not going to lie. Will I miss my iPod? Yes. But please don't worry. This experience will be so fun to see how much technology takes over our lives!
Being a leader has always meant a lot to me. I never put myself in leadership roles but somehow always find myself there. Earlier this semester I had to lead our Alto's in choir in a sectional while my dad was absent for a few days and it was so much fun! I tried to use the leadership skills that I had aquired in class and from living in Summit to help aid me as I taught them. Also, the freshman girls on the swim team want to join in on the Summit fun next year, and myself, as well as the other three girls have been talking with them and aiding them through the process. The swimmers, hopefully, will stick!! I am planning on still being the faculty advisor coordinator this semester and I am going to try and help plan the projects more and get my input into the plan. Last semester I stood back, but this semester I am hoping to get much more involved.
I hope you all are having a wonderful semester so far. See you tomorrow!
Deanna

No comments:

Post a Comment