Wednesday, April 13, 2011

April Showers bring Summit Flowers

Helloooo Summit!
How was everyone's Technology Fast? Awesome right?! Well I actually thought it was but that is besides the point. Our apartment is doing very well. We are all getting antsy for the summer though. Tiff is still in South Africa kicking butt and hopefully she will be back again with us on Monday! Lighthouse is better than ever. Tomorrow is the last time I'm going to go in by myself to volunteer! I can't believe it's almost been the second semester already! I'm not complaining however, and I'm sure you aren't either! We haven't made much progress with Lighthouse so far besides the hours we go volunteer there, but what we are looking forward to the most is the Easter Egg Hunt we are planning for them! I know through all of my work in the Purple Room with the preschoolers I have gotten so close to the kids and I can't wait to see their faces when we show them what we have done for them! I'm not so excited about stuffing the eggs full of goodies but it just calls for another girls movie night!
Lighthouse has grown so much as an organization over the past semester. They have organized so much and they seem to really have things under control. They are really fitting into the church nicely and the kids are responding to it very well. That is one of my favorite parts about working with Lighthouse. I feel like I am making such a difference there. When I work in the Purple Room, the teachers always thank me a million times when my hour is up, and even when I'm working for Dolly, I can just see the appreciative look on her face. She doesn't have an hour in her day to file papers like I do and when there is a lot on her plate she really looks to us to help out. I love being a part of that.
One of the things that challenged me about Lighthouse was that being with the kids somedays was very stressful and hard work. It didn't dampen my experience at all, it was just one of those things you have to deal with. They would misbehave and treat their teachers very disrespectful somedays and you could just tell how hard it was for the teachers who had to work there. I give them all kudos for doing everyday what I did twice a week only for an hour. And I got stressed in that amount of time!
Apart for tomorrow's last hour and the Easter Egg Hunt our Lighthouse days are coming to a close faster than we know it. It is sad, but we know we can always go and volunteer there now if we ever wanted to. It is a good feeling to know that. Also, it has been such a pleasure meeting all of the kids and staff. It opened my eyes to a world that I might be facing here before I know it and it gave me good experience that I will need for the future. I loved working there and being apart of all of their families. As a little boy Genard told me once, "I love you mommy." And even though it was really scary hearing that, it was also kind of a cool thing. I hope you guys have had as awesome experience as we have with this project. See you all in class Friday!
Deanna

No comments:

Post a Comment