Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Experiencing Summit

     Hey everybody!  School is almost coming to a close!  I don't  know about you, but I am so very ready for summer.  End of the year papers and preparations for finals are stressful, but it will soon be over.  Looking back on this year in Summit as a whole, I have a feeling of accomplishment.  If I were to describe my Summit experience in one sentence, I would say that, "Summit is a program that demands a lot of responsibility at times, yet it fosters leadership development, problem solving, and teamwork among Summit members."  As I continue on at Drury, I think one main thing Summit has taught me is how to better work in a group.  I learned the importance of communication among members and the importance of compromise when planning events and activities.  I learned the importance of taking responsibility for your share of the work, but also the importance of doing whatever is in your power to ensure the project's success.  The volunteer aspect of Summit will definitely further my experience at Drury, because it has made me more aware of the Springfield community and has emphasized the importance of contributing to your society.  
      The most important thing I have learned from Summit Park is that there is a certain aspect of responsibility that comes from being a member of society.  As a blessed person, I have a duty to share a portion of my time and talents with others to help to better the community as a whole.  I feel like Summit has shown me the importance of what even a small amount of volunteering can do and that people do appreciate your personal efforts to make your community a better place.  I think the main impact we have made on the Springfield community and Lighthouse in particular is promoting opportunity.  By hosting the Fall Festival, the Christmas Symphony Concert, and the Easter Egg Hunt, we have helped to provide additional opportunities for fun, happiness, and bonding for the children and families of Lighthouse.  Without the Beacon Project's interaction with Lighthouse, the children might not have been able to experience these things.  I feel like we did an important thing by offering these experiences for them.
     If I had not been accepted into the Summit community, I think my year would have gone a lot differently.  For one, I would have had to pay for laundry and wash my dishes by hand. Haha I also would not have gotten to experience the different aspects of personal wellness during the first semester and would not even know what Tai Chi is.  I also would have been more secluded from and less aware of what is going on in the Springfield community.  Additionally, I would not feel as comfortable taking leadership or planning roles as I do now.  If I could change something about my Summit experience, I would have better communicated with everyone involved.  This includes with Lighthouse and with the other members of the Beacon Project.  I feel like some tensions and misunderstandings could have been avoided if we had better communicated about issues and been more proactive in facilitating communication.
     To future Summit groups, I would say to make the most out of their experience.  While it sometimes seems like a lot of work, it is definitely worth it.  Just remember to have a positive attitude about the work you are doing, even if it doesn't always go according to planned.  Take your share of the responsibility in your group, and make sure you have open communication with everyone involved in your project.
     See you all at the FINAL Summit meeting of the year!  I can't wait to hear about everyone's projects and to tell you about ours.  Good luck on your finals!


     Molly Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment