Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Peak of the Summit

Hey guys!! One and a half weeks to go!!!! Maybe less for some of you, in which case makes me extremely jealous. I cannot believe how fast this year went. Doesn't it feel like just yesterday that we were doing Tai Chi and Yoga? It seems like we have done so much stuff this year! I'm so glad I got to have this experience in Summit. It was a lot of hard work sometimes, but everything was so worth it. Getting to live in the most amazing apartment, that I am going to miss a lot, getting to see the kids at Lighthouse, doing the fun Summit socials, and having fun with everyone in class. Also, making fun of Andrew's obsession with Express clothing...oh wait. I can do that whenever!! Yes! I am really going to miss it. Being in Summit made me do things that I probably wouldn't have done if I had lived anywhere else, such as volunteer work, but it has made me so much more of a better person.
After living in Summit it will be a hard transition to no more washer, dryer, and dishwasher! But getting to know all of the people involved in the whole thing will help me find more things in common with people. I've loved blogging so much I might even start my own! And it's helped introduce me to new things, such as Yoga, which I'm going to take up this summer. It has also helped me to find out more about who I am. Living with the girls has shown me a lot about what I want and how I want to live. They were amazing to live with and I'm so glad I got to share this with them. I'm going to miss Tiff and Jess next year. Molly and I are sticking with it, however. I have learned more about making an impact in the community through Summit. Working at Lighthouse and with children was really scary to me, but now that I've been there to help, I have more confidence being around kids which will really help me if I want to have some of my own someday.
 I really loved everything that Summit taught me too. The goals are really going to help me with my future. I am already heading towards them more than I was when we made them and it's only been 3 weeks! Since I really have no clue what to do with my life, setting those goals really helped me organize what I wanted and put my mind towards something other than just finishing school. I think that is what I'm going to take the most out of in Summit.
Throughout the community I think we made a really nice impact with Summit. I could tell that we helped them out immensely just by the way they looked when we got there. Whether it was sweeping, cleaning resource rooms, or just playing with kids, they breathed a sigh of relief when we showed up. I don't know if we made an impact on the entire community that way, but we sure helped make people's days a little bit easier for them, and to me, that is just as satisfying.
If I had not lived in Summit, we would probably be living in Sunderland. I feel like living in another dorm would make me feel like a Freshman again. I wouldn't have been involved at all on Campus and I know for a fact that I wouldn't have done any volunteer work. Living in Summit gave me another way to get involved at school without it being swimming related and I think that really helped me.
Looking back over the past year I don't really have much that I would change. Every experience seemed like a positive one for me. I wish Lighthouse would have been a bit easier to work with sometimes, but other than that everything went really smoothly.
What other Summit groups have to remember is that sometimes it can seem like a lot of work, and since the class is once a month you usually forget to do it until the Thursday before, when you go, we have class on Friday?!!! After you do the assignments however they are really eye opening and they really help you out with your life. It's Leadership so it is going to help you for the rest of your life. It's not that math problem you learned last year that you will never use again. So go into the projects willingly and you'll find out just how rewarding they can be. Good luck to you all, future Summiteers!
I have really enjoyed being a part of this. Hopefully it's not totally over yet. Thank you so much Andrew and to all of my neighbors. I love you!
Deanna Sorenson

No comments:

Post a Comment