Monday, November 15, 2010

Progress at Lighthouse

Hello fellow Summiters. How has your last month been? To me, November has flown. It also doesn't help that Harry Potter is coming out in four days!!! But that is besides the point. Our Lighthouse project has been going splendidly. We have officially finished cleaning the resource room and have moved on to actually helping out the teachers and playing with the kids!

One of the greatest moments of our volunteering so far, was putting on the Fall Festival in the practice gym of Weiser a few weeks ago. So many people came, and it was really great to get to meet all the kids involved with Lighthouse. Not to mention their great families. All of our hard work really paid off. Including the cake walk which we slaved over! We made over 113 cupcakes, not to mention an assortment of other things (also, my mom made us cookies) to fill up the walk with goodies. And it went off with a hitch! It was the most popular event at the festival and everyone won some sweets. I think the employees at Lighthouse were really pleased with it, as were the families who came to it and supported us.

I think we have a great impact on the agency. They seem to really appreciate our help, and they are so friendly and nice. They truly seem grateful for us and not like we're in the way. I have definitely made many new friends at the church. There hasn't been too many difficulties honestly. We had a lot more responsibility for the Fall Fest than we were originally anticipating, but that didn't bother us. It was so much fun to get ready for. We had a big girls night in the apartment and it was wonderful!

Speaking of the girls, everything here is going marvelously. I don't think we've really had any serious problems yet. Just a few tiff's here and there, but everybody gets on everybody's nerves once in awhile. Our group has a really great dynamic and we all have so much fun living together. I love walking into my apartment and really feeling like I'm home. I hope the other girls feel the same way too. Not to mention, they are always cooking something delicious so it smells so good all the time! Also, I find myself waving to all my neighbors when I walk to class. Doing  the wellness activities has given me a chance to get to know them better as well as the Summit Socials.

The Wellness is going extremely well for me. I find myself actually using the relaxation techniques to calm myself down about everything I stress about. I have really tried to use it especially in swimming. I love the yoga, and even though the Tai Chi was very different than anything I had ever done, I really enjoyed it too. It has been a really great experience for me so far and I am very grateful that I was given the opportunity to try it out.

Well, I think that's about it for this month! I will see you all this week for some Tai Chi! Hai Ya!!!
Deanna Sorenson

No comments:

Post a Comment