Sunday, March 13, 2011

Halfway There!!

Hey everyone!

We just got back from winning NCAA division II swimming national championships!!! So this semester has been great so far both in and out of Lighthouse. I am still volunteering in the center and things are going really well. I have been assigned to the infant room which has been a very rewarding experience to me for many reasons.

I am actually in a child development class this semester which has given me some insight into how each of these children are developing. Being able to observe children in a variety of different stages in there development has helped me better understand the actually material being presented in my class. I have also been able to identify certain behaviors the children display and how to appropriately handle many of them. I suppose I have just enjoyed seeing my class in action.

 I have also enjoyed volunteering at Lighthouse because of the atmosphere. Being able to help these babies by changing there diapers, feeding them or rocking them to sleep has been a privilege. I have discovered that I absolutely love kids. After volunteering this semester I always feel so relaxed and refreshed. It makes me feel so good it has become a little get-a-way.  I really look forward to volunteering every week.

Lastly I have really enjoyed this experience becuase of what I have been able to give back. I was volunteering the other day and one of the mothers stopped by to see her son. She came in while he and I were playing with some blocks on the floor. She was so appreciative of what I was doing that she couldn't stop thanking me. It felt so good to know I was actually helping someone that much.

We have begun planning our Easter egg hunt and party for the children. It looks like it is going to be really exciting! We hope to have some sort of activity or craft as well as an easter egg hunt in which all of the children will participate. Lighthouse is very excited about the event as well. I think it is going to be a great success.

Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment